The Kerckhoff-Cuzner Mill & Lumber Company was originally the Los Angeles branch of the J.G. Jackson Lumber Company. James Cuzner was managing it when in 1879 William George Kerckhoff (1856-1929) approached him about purchasing a partner stake in the company. Cuzner and Kerckhoff each purchased a quarter stake and the company then became Jackson, Kerckhoff & Cuzner. In 1883 the company incorporated and became the Kerckhoff-Cuzner Mill & Lumber Company. As business grew they acquired branch yards in Pasadena, Pomona, Lamanda Park, San Fernando, Hollywood, Brawley, Calexico, Imperial, and also purchased Boschke's Island or Smith's Island, as it was also know, in San Pedro and established a wholesale mill and lumber yard there.
Scope and Content
This collection consists of business records, correspondence, and maps; the majority of which deal with the purchase of Boschke's Island (or Smith's Island) by the Kerckhoff-Cuzner Mill & Lumber Company from Albert and Martha Ellen Boschke. There were subsequent legal complications regardnig this purchase with the Southern Pacific Railroad Company and the Banning Company, primarily Joseph Brent Banning and William Banning (1858-1946). The dispute between the various parties dealt with the purchase of the island and of how much of it belonged to the respective parties. A small part of the collection deals with a bridge the Kerckhoff-Cuzner Mill & Lumber Company wanted to build from Boschke's Island (or Smith's Island) across the Wilmington slough or inner bay of San Pedro to the mainland.